The mission of the Latin American Studies Center is to provide an institutional space for research, teaching, and discussion on Latin America at the University of Colorado at Boulder. Its general purpose is to bring together CU faculty, students and visiting scholars interested in Latin American issues: recognizing the diversity of their academic interests and approaches; supporting the research, teaching, and study of Latin America; and strengthening CU’s links with Latin America and with communities of Latin American origin in the United States.
The specific goals of the CU Latin American Studies Center include:
- Enhancing and sustaining interdisciplinary faculty teaching and research on Latin America,
- Promote interaction among CU Latin Americanists with the goal of securing external grants to fund collaborative faculty research,
- Attracting graduate students interested in Latin American Studies and fostering interdisciplinary graduate work on Latin America,
- Promoting undergraduate interest in Latin American Studies and providing more Study Abroad opportunities in the region,
- Establishing CU as the premiere center for Latin American Studies in the Intermountain West